Left-handed. Bespectacled. Awesome.
Below are a couple of "fun facts" about me beyond what is written in the Bio section, if you are interested in that sort of thing.
Believe it or not, this has been the most challenging section of my website to finish. I could have just casually deleted the link from my navigation panel -- but I don't back down from a challenge! (Unless it involves facing one of my phobias. I have my limits.) Luckily, I don't anticipate very many visits to this particular page, sooo... without further ado:
- One of my phobias: Heights. So, I'm going to contradict myself, here, and admit that I'd be willing to face this phobia. Team zip-lining? Sign me up! I'd cry the whole time, but I'm okay with never living that down.
- For most of my adult life, I thought I was 5'2". Turns out, I overshot it by a half inch.
- I love being left-handed.
- Spanish was my first language, my skills are abysmal these days. I also briefly studied Polish and picked up some Italian in college. I don't speak those languages anymore, either.
- My favorite words are: aplomb, melange, abscond. My favorite Polish word is zakłopotany.
- I enjoy getting older and often "lie up" about my age. Unfortunately, I look and generally present as being younger than I really am.
- My favorite color is green. It is the first color I've liked for aesthetic reasons.
- That being said, I love wearing obnoxious colors and patterns. I know not everyone loves seeing me in, oh, lime green pants but idgaf!
- Eleanor Roosevelt and Patti Smith are two of my heroes.
- At every chance I get, I will remove my shoes. If it was socially acceptable, hygenic, and safe to be barefoot all day, I'd forgo shoes long term.
- When I was 20, I studied abroad in Italy for a month. I talk about it as though I just got back; it was one of the best experiences of my life.
- My favorite punctuation mark is the semicolon. I liked it before it became trendy (if that matters).
- One of my earliest career goals was established in Kindergarten; I wanted to write a book. I was strongly discouraged from this goal, but to this day, publishing a work of fiction is still a dream of mine. I participated in NaNoWriMo for the first time in 2012 but have yet to complete a novel.
- Carrying on conversations has never been my strength. It's not that I don't enjoy talking to people; I am just very socially awkward and can be impulsive with the things I say.
- I'm probably "Apostrophe T" or "Evaporate Completely" elsewhere on the internet.
- It should go without saying that I am a big fan of They Might Be Giants.
- I will "sample" fruit- or berry-like vegetation I come across if it appears to be edible, and if no one is around to stop me.
- I am probably the worst dancer I have ever met. This has yet to stop me.
- I played piano for many years before abruptly giving it up forever when I was a teenager. I started playing by ear when I was 4 and was forced to take lessons until I was 12. It wasn't that I hated the piano as much as I hated that I wasn't allowed to explore other instruments or the music I actually wanted to play. The piano is a percussion instrument; why couldn't I belt out rock tunes?
- I lived without television from 2014 - 2016 and got all my news from Boston NPR.
- In the past decade, I've seen all of 3 films in the cinema, all of which were in 2016.
- I don't like bears. I have an irrational fear of getting mauled by one.
- My Myslovitz fandom landed me in Poland's Gazeta Wyborcza and on the cover of Myslovitz' "Best Of" album (along with a hundred other fans).
- I do not respond well to hints. If you want me to know something, it's best to be as straightforward as possible, even if you think I should already know, the information is obvious, or you may hurt my feelings. I don't, it isn't, and you probably won't.
- When I was a kid, I used to scribble notes in the margins of books whenever I wanted to share my opinion or, essentially, hold a conversation with the text. (I did mention I'm socially awkward somewhere in here, right?)